Location: Amravati District
The ancient name of Amravati is “Udumbravati”, the prakrut form of this is “Umbravati” and “Amravati” is known for many centuries with this name. The mispronunciation form of this is Amravati and now the Amravati is known with the same. It is said that Amravati is named for its ancient Ambadevi temple. The ancient proof of the existence of Amravati can get from the stone carved inscription on the base of a marble statue of God Adinath (Jain God) Rhishabhnath. This shows that these statues were set up here in 1097. Govind Maha Prabhu visited Amravati in 13 th century, at the same time Warhad was under the rule of Deogiri’s Hindu King (Yadav). In the 14th century, there was famine (drought) in Amravati & people abandoned Amravati and left for Gujrat and Malva. The local people were returned back after several years at Amravati, the result of this was scanty population. In 16 th century, Mager Aurangpura (today’s, ‘Sabanpura’) was presented for Jumma Majseed by Badashah Aurangzeb. This reveals that Muslims and Hindus lived together here. In 1722, Chhatrapati Shahoo Maharaj presented Amravati and Badnera to Shri Ranoji Bhosle, by the time Amravati was known as Bhosle ki Amravati. The city was reconstructed and prospered by Ranoji Bhosle after the treaty of Devgaon and Anjangaon Surji and victory over Gavilgad (Fort of Chikhaldara). The British general author Wellesly camped in Amravati, the particular place is still recognized as camp, by Amravati people. The Amravati city came into existence at the end of 18th century. Union state of Nizam and Bosale ruled the Amravati. They appointed the revenue officer, but defense system was worsted. Gavilgad fort was conquered by Britishers on 15th Dec’ 1803. According to the Deogaon treaty, the Warhad was presented as the token of the friendship to Nizam. The Warhad had Nizams monopoly, thereafter. Near about 1805, Pendharies attacked Amravati city.
Amravati is influenced by the local steppe climate. In Amravati, there is little rainfall throughout the year. The climate here is classified as BSh by the Köppen-Geiger system. In Amravati, the average annual temperature is 27.3 °C. The average annual rainfall is 808 mm.
Important railway stations are Badnera Junction and Amravati Main Terminal under Bhusawal-Badnera Section of Bhusawal Division of Central Railway. The other stations under meter gauge are Wan Road Dhulghat and Dabka. These are under Purna – Khandwa section of South Central Railway. The stations under narrow gauge are Achalpur, Anjangaon Surji, and Daryapur under Narrow Gauge Branch lines viz Murtajapur-Achalpur of Bhusawal Division of Central Railway.
Amravati – Narkhed line has been ready since January 2014. Railways are now available to travel from Narkhed to Bhusaval. Warud’s railway station has been given the name Warud Orange City because it is the biggest exporter of oranges from all over India.
The Amravati – Chandur Bajar – Morshi – Warud Orange City – Narkher railway track is electrified.
Due to this Amravati – Narkher railway line; Railway network in Amravati district become strong. It serves three talukas and some villages also have a station so people travel via railway towards Amravati, Akola, Bhusawal, Nashik, and Mumbai.
Amravati Airport is located at Belora, 15 kilometers south of Amravati city on NH-6 towards Akola.
Place of Interests
• Bhakti Dham Temple,
• Chikhaldara Hill Station,
• Gugarnal National Park,
• Melghat Tiger Reserve,
• Old Amaravati,
• Shri Ambadevi Temple,
• Shri Ekviradevi Temple Sridham Temple,
• Wan Wildlife Sanctuary