Culturally diverse Girgaon is home to eclectic architecture, including Raj-era landmarks like the lavish Royal Opera House and Portuguese-style wooden buildings. The local dining scene offers South Indian vegetarian fare and lively pan-Asian eateries. On the seafront, Marine Drive promenade joins Girgaon Chowpatty, a small beach where kids fly kites and stalls sell spicy bhel puri, a puffed rice snack.
This city has a tropical climate. The summers here have a good deal of rainfall, while the winters have very little. The Köppen-Geiger climate classification is Aw. The temperature here averages 24.2 °C. The rainfall here averages 1261 mm.
Khetwadi, originally an area with a sparse population living off agriculture and plantations, developed in the mid-19th century with the widening of Parel road and the Girgaon road (then called the Breach Candy Road). In 1839, Grant Road was completed, leading to migration of a large number of people into this area. Girgaon got its own station much later at Charni Road which was opened in the year 1867. Today it has become a hub for diamond traders and wholesalers of almost all the traditional businesses.
There are a large number of temples in this area. The most well-known is Thakurdwar, built by the ascetic Atmaram Baba, who died in 1838. The Kalbadevi temple, dedicated to Kali, was moved to its present site from its original location in Mahim during the rule of the Gujrati sultans. The Dadi Seth Agiary was built in 1783, the Hormusji Wadia Fire temple in 1839.