Kamptee is a city and a municipal council in Nagpur district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. It is the administrative center for Kamptee taluka. It is below the confluence of the Kanhan River with the rivers Pench and Kolar.
Kamptee was founded in 1821 when the British established a military cantonment on the banks of the Kanhan River. Kamptee was previously named Camp-T for its geographical shape. The town quickly became an important center for trade, but trade dwindled with the arrival of the railway in the late 19th century to Nagpur. An Iron Age hoard of weapons was excavated by Major George Pearse of the Royal Artillery from the Wurreegaon barrow near Kamptee in the mid-nineteenth century. Dating to between the 7th and 1st centuries BCE, it was one of the first hoards from this period discovered in the Indian Sub-Continent.