Kandivali Verified

Where happy life settles, age doesn’t matter.

Welcome To Kandivali

Kandivali (Pronunciation: [kaːn̪d̪iʋəliː]) formerly Khandolee is a neighbourhood in the north MumbaiMaharashtra, India and has a large Gujarati Followed by Koli and Marathi population. It is the 20th railway station on the western line from Churchgate. It is an upmarket locality.

History

The Kandivali railway station was built more than 100 years ago in 1907, then known as Khandolee. The station derived its name from the East Indian village of Condolim. Earth and stones from Paran, a hillock east of the Kandivali railway station were quarried to reclaim the Bombay Backbay. On this account a railway line was opened, a workshop erected and a number of dwelling houses were constructed for officers and workmen numbering thousands. The area around Western Urban road between Malad and Kandivali had numerous stone quarries and was once famous for Malad Stone. Many heritage buildings in Mumbai were constructed with Malad stone between 1860 and 1930, most notable among them are David Sassoon library, Bombay House and the Western Railway building at Churchgate.

During the plagues of 1900s, the Fonseca’s from Bandra migrated to Kandivali. They initially settled down to the east of Kandivali at Akurli and then moved to the west at Poisar. This is where they thrived and a few families still reside to this day. All the three major communities have their shrines in Poisar.

Landmarks and localities

The Church of Our Lady of Assumption, located off M.G. Road, was built in 1630 and was one of the oldest churches of Mumbai. The pond located at Shankar Mandir, Kandivali village is used for immersions during Ganesh Chaturthi (The pond is now known as Young Star Krida Mandal Visarjan Talao). Also located on M.G. Road is the Kala Hanuman Temple. A 150-year-old shrine  to Shri Karsangli Akurli Mata, Varahi Mata Temple is at Shankar Lane.

Holy Cross Chapel located in Bunder Pakhadi Koliwada, was built in 1907. Holy Cross statue located in Bunder Pakhadi Koliwada naka Build by a Fisherman Anton Soz During The Great Bombay Plague of 1896. This Cross Has Stood The test of Time and has been a Source of Inspiration And Redemption to Believers of all faiths. Bunder Pakhadi Koliwada is located in Kandivali West. Bunder Pakhadi Koliwada, is a fishing village in Kandivali West. There are Christian Koli & Hindu Koli more than 200 Families. This village is older more than 400 years.

Mahavir Nagar is locality in Kandivali West.

Kandivali West, together with Kandivali East, Charkop and Poisar constitute the R-South ward of BMC.

The Mahindra & Mahindra plant occupies a 63-acre (250,000 m2) built-up area and employs over 3,000. Industrial complexes such as Akurli Industrial Estate in East and Charkop Industrial Estate are in Western part. Kandivali is also home to The Times of India printing press.

The Sports Authority of India has a huge training ground (SAI Sports Ground) for the popular football team Mahindra United. Football Teams like FC Greens, F United also practice here regularly.

Transportation

Kandivali railway station is a busy station on the Western Line of the Mumbai suburban railway. Poisar Bus Depot, one of the oldest BEST bus depot is located on S.V. Road in the western part of the neighbourhood. Road connectivity is provided by means of Western urban road on the east, S.V. Road and Link Road on the west. The BEST bus depot is close to the railway station on the eastern side of the neighbourhood and is the point of origin for localities in Kandivali (East) like Ashok Nagar, Hanuman Nagar, Damu Nagar, Samata Nagar, Thakur Village and Thakur Complex.

Two lines of Mumbai Metro (Line 2 and Line 7) will pass through the neighbourhood once operational. Line 2 will pass through Link Road on the western part and Line 7 will pass through the main arterial Western Urban road on the eastern side of the neighbourhood.

Line 7, once operational will be fully elevated and will run from Dahisar (East) to Andheri (East). Bandongri and Mahindra & Mahindra will be the two halts in Kandivali for the metro.

The Kandivali (West) post office (Pin Code 400067) is the oldest post office in Kandivali. The Kandivali (East) post office (Pin Code 400101) was initially located at Fonseca Compound on Akurli road near Kandivali railway station on the eastern side. It later got shifted to Samata Nagar.

Hospitals

Shatabdi Hospital was opened at S.V. Road by the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) on 2 September 2013. It is named after Bharat Ratna Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar. There are a couple of government hospitals in Kandivali(East). The Akurli Road Municipal Maternity Home (run by Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation) is a two-storey hospital on Akurli Road opposite Dena Bank. There is an Employees State Insurance Scheme(ESIS) hospital as well. Both are within 5 minutes walking distance from the railway station. There is also Kandivali Hitwardhak Hospital located at Shree Mangubhai Dattani Bhavan, Swami Vivekananda Road, Shantilal Modi road, Kandivali West and hospital is run buy Shree Kandivali Hitwardhak Mandal which is Health charitable organizations in Mumbai.

Education

Kandivali has a number of English, Gujarati, Marathi and Hindi and medium schools, including Samta Vidya Mandir, St Lawrence High School, Our Lady of Remedy High School, St.Joseph’s High School, Dhanamal High School, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel School, Shri Raghuveer English High School, M.L.R.T. Gala Pioneer English SchoolCambridge SchoolLokhandwala Foundation SchoolThakur Public SchoolGundecha Education AcademyThakur Vidya MandirRyan International School (CBSE, Kandivali East), Oxford International School (Kandivali), M.J. Junior College Of ScienceMumbai World High School (First CBSE Board School in Kandivali West Charkop), Swami Vivekanand International School and Junior College, Dr. T. R. Naravane High School,The Trinity English High School, Kapol Vidyanidhi International School(ICSE), Children’s Academy and Thakur Shyam Narayan High School. Our Lady of Remedy High School is the oldest institution in the region founded in the year 1926. In Kandivali East, Pal Rajendra High School and Pal Rajendra B.ed College are major institution for teaching courses.

There are several junior and degree colleges in the neighbourhood. Thakur College of Engineering and TechnologyThakur College of Science and Commerce and Kandivali Education Society {KES Shroff College} are the important ones. The Phoenix Archery Academy is also located in Kandivali.

Post New Review

Your email address will not be published.