Bhandup is a suburban community within the municipality of Mumbai, formerly known as Bombay, in the state of Maharashtra, India and is also the name of a Bhandup railway station on the Mumbai suburban railway on the Central Railway line. The word Bhandup is derived from the name Bhandupeshwar, which is one of the names of Lord Shiva. An old temple dedicated to Lord Shiva – the Bhandupeshwar Mahadev Mandir – still stands in Bhandup West.
The earliest records for Bhandup come from 1803 and show that the erstwhile Bhandup estate comprised Bhandup, Nahur, and Kanjur Marg. The following is an excerpt from the Gazetteer of the Bombay Presidency: Bhandup, in Salsette, four miles (6 km) South-west of Thana, with, in 1881, a population of 884 souls, has a railway station and a post-office. the railway traffic returns show an increase in passengers from 29,988 in 1873 to 51,664 in 1880 and in goods from 126 to 143 tons. It is the nearest railway station, about four miles (6 km), to Tulsi Lake. The Kanheri caves lie 2 miles (3.2 km) beyond Tulsi, but the road from Borivli station on the Baroda railway though not so pretty is shorter and easier. In 1803, on payment of a quit-rent, the East India Company granted the major part of Bhandup and parts of two other villages to Mr. Luke Ashburner, alderman of Bombay and editor of the Bombay Courier. In 1817, Mr. Ashburner sold the estate, together with the contract for supplying the government rum, to his manager Mr. Kavasji Mankeji Ashburner for a sum of £50,000 (Rs. 5,00,000). In 1832, machinery was brought from England to work the distillery, and in that year, about 100000 gallons of rum is said to have been supplied to the government.