Parel is a neighborhood of Mumbai. This is different from Lower Parel. Parel is also a Station on a Central railway and shares FOB with Elphinstone Rd Railway Station on Western Railway.
Originally, Parel was a separate island. As such, an inscription dated January 26, 1187 (Paurnima of Magha, Saka 1108) is found there a recording of a grant made by Shilahara king Aparaditya II out of the proceeds of an orchard in a village named Mahavali (close to Kurla) for a Vaidyanatha temple. Parel is one of the Seven Islands of Bombay which were ceded by the Portuguese to England in 1661; it was linked up with the other islands in the 19th Century.
In the 1770s, William Hornby, the Governor of Bombay, shifted his official residence to Parel. This area then became one of the poshest areas of the city. In 1867, tanners and dealers in dry fish were relocated in this area. By the 1870s, several cotton mills had been established in the reclaimed lands in Parel (West). Gradually, Paral became very polluted. In 1883, the Governor’s wife died of cholera in the Government House. Two years later, the Governor’s Mansion was moved to Malabar Point. During the plague epidemics of the 1890s, the old Government House was leased to the newly founded Haffkine Institute.