Location: Goregaon Raigad
Goregaon is a small census town in the Mangaon taluka of Raigad district in Maharashtra state. For many years, Goregaon has served as a cultural and educational center for surrounding areas in the region. Situated near the Kal River, a tributary of the Savitri River. Goregaon enjoys an abundance of water and natural features.
Goregaon was originally called Ghodegaon, a name that was formed by combining the word ghode (meaning “horse”) and gaon (meaning “village”). This name was used because Goregaon was a major trading center for horses under the rule of Chhatrapati Shivaji. 10 kilometers (6.2 mi) from Goregaon is the village of Ghodeghoom. In ancient times, warriors would train in Ghodeghoom and travel to Goregaon to purchase horses. Three lakes in Goregaon could provide the water needed for the horses in the market.
The village has three water tanks dating back from the ancient times. They are: (1) Gaotalav occupying an area of 12 acres (49,000 m2); (2) Visnu Talav, with a haud, or tank, in the center and occupying 8 acres (32,000 m2) of land; and (3) Ram Talav spread over an area of 4 acres (16,000 m2). Due to the availability of water, the Maratha armies used to camp at Goregaon, and the nearby villages of Vaki and Hindus.
In 1826, Ghodegaon is mentioned as the terminus of two routes from Poona via the Dev and Kumbha passes. It has an outlying country town, or kasha, with 500 houses and 40 shops along with some temples and wells (Clunes’ Itinerary, p. 40).