Uran is coastal town and node of Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra state in Konkan division. It lies in the Raigad district, east of Mumbai across the Dharamtar Creek. Uran is primarily a fishing and agriculture village, which has developed into the special economic zone of Uran. The primary languages spoken are Agri and Koli which is a dialect of Marathi-Kokani.
The climate here is tropical. Rainfall is significant most months of the year, and the short dry season has little effect. This climate is considered to be Am according to the Koppen-Geiger climate classification. The average annual temperature is 26.8 °C in Uran. About 2664 mm of precipitation falls annually.
The city name derived from the Hindu goddess Uranavati. It was called Uruvan during the rule of Madhavrao I, the fourth Peshwa of the Maratha Empire. Later, the area was named Uran by the Portuguese and Ooran by the British.
Many Indian dynasties have ruled the area. In early history, these included the Maurya Empire, Sātavāhana Empire, Western Kshatrapas, Vākāṭaka Empire, Chalukyas, and Yadavas.
The area around Mumbai was under the Portuguese and British rule in the 16th to 19th centuries.
Uran was subject to the Maratha princely states in Maharashtra. Uran was once the base of the famous Maratha Sarkhel(Admiral) Kanhoji Angre, who battled European naval interests in the 18th century.
Places of worship
Uran has many Hindu temples, some of which host annual festivals. Some of the well-known temples are:
• ShanteshwariAai Temple, NavinSheva Uran: ShanteshwariAai Temple is Very famous in Uran taluka. It is in NavinSheva village.
Its palkhi is famous in Raigad District.
• Bahiridev Temple, Sarde Uran:’ Shree Bahiridev(Ughad) is Gramdaiwat of all Sarde Village. It is JagrutDevasthan and it is based on Creek of Sarde which is one of the branches of Patalganga Creek.
• Shree RaghobaMandir, UranKotnaka
RaghobaMandir Is one of a famous holy temple located near Kotnaka, Uran. Shree Raghobapalkhisohla is very famous in kotnaka village as well as in Uran also.
• Radhakrishna Temple, Sarde, Uran: Which is based at Radhakrishaali(Sarde Village hill)A Grand Festival is celebrated on the occasion of Shree Krishna Jayanti. There is the Huge celebration in Palakhi occasion.
• URAN-KOLIWADA IS HINDU TEMPLE SHREE BAPUJIDEV MANDIR & JARI – MARI MANDIR.
• Ratneshwari Temple, Jaskhar, Ratneshwari temple is one of the most Famous &JagrutDevasthan in Uran city.
• Girobadev Temple, Khopta located in East of Karanja&Khopta creek
• Mankeshwar Temple Uran: One of the famous temples in Uran, located right next to Mankeshwar beach, Kegoan. Dedicated to Lord Shiva, an annual festival celebrated here in the month of November.
• Vinayak Temple Kegoan, Uran: located in Kegoan. Dedicated to Lord Ganesha, Very old and beautiful temple constructed by Peshwas (recently refurbished). A small Hanuman Temple is directly opposite to the Ganesha Temple. A well and a pond add to the scenery. History of this temple dates back to 1365 according to sources.
• Dargah of HazrathMukim Shah Baba, Uran: Located in Uran it is one of the most famous dargahs of uran.It is also a major tourist attraction in Uran. Devotees from nearby areas visit this dargah on a large scale.
• UranJamaMasjid: Located in Masjid Mohalla area of Uran. It is the biggest mosque in uran.
• Dargah of HazratMoinuddinQadri: Located on Uran–Karanja road.
• Masjid-e-Muhammadia: Located near Rajpal Naka
Another major tourist attraction in Uran is Pirwadi Beach, which is frequented by tourists from nearby areas like Panvel, Navi Mumbai, and Mumbai. A distant view of South Mumbai is visible from there.
Ransai Dam is a destination in Uran. It is located near Dighode Village.
An old military fort named Dronagiri is located just beside the ONGC plant on the top of the Dronagiri mountain. This was a Maratha fort for a short period before passing into the possession of the Portuguese, according to the locals. The entry has banned for security reasons.